Sunday, November 6, 2011

Narration: Silverspot The Crow

From

Wild Animals I Have Known


By Ernest Thompson Seton

Silverspot was named for a silver dot on the point of his beak. It was hard to spot which crow was Silverspot until I saw his little dot. I guess that spot is a sort of birthmark. Silverspot and his friends fly in one big group. These crows have several calls; All is well, come right along, be on your guard, danger, great danger-a gun, hawk-hawk, wheel around, attention, and good day.

One day, I was walking out in the woods and I shook a pine tree. Two birds flew out and I saw a nest shake. I had always had a suspicion that some birds lived there in that nest. But not just any birds, Silverspot and his mate!

Another time, I saw him cross the Don Valley with a white object in his beak. He set the object down on the shore of Beaver Elm. I went to look at the object (when Silverspot left) and saw that it was a china teacup handle! Silverspot had placed it among many white shells like a gem collection of his own! I never saw any explanation for this "gem collection" but to bring them to his mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment